shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What's in a name?

Brangelina.


I clearly remember the first time I read this word. It was in some article in a magazine talking about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and it had just a little snippet, "known as Brangelina" that inflamed me. I was like, "pfft, no they are not! by who?" what a stupid name! Just because you can spin off "Bennifer" (which was the popular moniker at the time for Ben Aflack and Jennifer Lopez - yes, do you remember them as an item?! two marriages and 3 babies ago between them. I like the new Bennifer and miss seeing her on Alias weekly. But, I digress.) doesn't mean you should, it really doesn't work the same way. Who would come up with something like that, other than the media and this stupid magazine, hoping to make it stick. I really wanted it NOT to stick. I resented it and tried to avoid using it myself, but damn if it didn't totally catch on and take off?!


As for the couple themselves, I actually don't mind them. We know I have an appreciation, well, hell, for both of them and their unnatural beauty and while Brad and Jennifer Aniston may have been the "golden couple" I feel like he and Angelina really align more. There was just something amiss with Brad and Jen to be together so long and still feel so off and then the whole baby saga. Angelina is, admittedly, one odd cookie with her daddy issues and blood vials (among other sordid tales) with Tommy Lee; but with Brad, I just think they are good for each other. She gave him the outlets he wanted to help others. . .and he gave her, more normalcy and credibility and blinding star power?

1 tips left at the bar:

penelope said...

But... so isn't it then more like a business deal, between Brad and Angelina? Like let's together and save small nations, create a small Brangelina nation of our own, etc? I guess at LEAST they're donating a lot of time and money to charitable causes. When they're not breeding, I mean.

:)

I will never run out of snark on this topic, never!