shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wii Love You, Dad!

After receiving an Old School Nintendo in the mail from my mother-in-law (at my request) I was instantly transported back to sixth grade. I used to play that thing for HOURS. Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt and Zelda were some of my favorites. Turns out, there were a few Nintendo games that were favorites of my husband too. He used to play Techmo Bowl and Bases Loaded, way back in the day.

When we sat down to indulge our inner middle school selves, we had a blast. There were lots of 'Oh! I forgot about that!' or 'I think there is something... hiding... here!' But seeing these old school games, for all their reminiscence, it made us wonder about new fangled games, even the Wii, with its bad ass controls and super real graphics.

So, being the fantastic wifey that I am, I called up a local joint that rents movies and games and lo and behold they rent consoles too. Consoles, like Wii, for example, for FIFTEEN DOLLARS A WEEK. Are you shitting me? I ask. Turns out they aren't, so I sign up real quick to check one out, along with three games, which weren't very expensive either.

Again we had a good time playing games and learning the new system. The Wii is phenomenal, BTW. And all for $27 for a whole week! So guess what my husband, the father of my two most beautiful and wonderful girls is getting for Father's Day? Another one week rental of the Wii. And a new and updated version of Bases Loaded.

If you know a man who a) does not own a Wii and b) possibly played video games as a kid, I urge you to look into this option for Father's Day. Just hand him the controller and a six pack and walk away (with the children).

He will love you.

Lots.

2 tips left at the bar:

penelope said...

Renting a Wii, what a great idea! I feel like that's the only gaming system I could actually have a chance at, other than the old-school Nintendo, which ROCKED. My fav was Super Mario 3.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea! My brother just got one for his birthday yesterday, so I'm curious to see how it works - I'm hoping he brings it down to the lake to share. I told him not to let go of the controler, though, and smash the TV like I've heard and seen pictures of!