shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meet my new BFF: Greek couscous salad

As I was making a grocery list last week, I got bored with myself and the same old standby options that I turn to for supper. I wanted to mix things up a bit! Try something new and different! Somehow I decided that couscous was the kick in the pants that I needed - except that I had no idea what to do with it. Or even what it tasted like. Or looked like. BUT THAT DIDN'T MATTER. I was a woman on a mission!

I did what all good little girls do, and turned to the internets to find a recipe with couscous. My most favorite site for recipes, All Recipes, didn't me down, and after a quick ingredients search for couscous, I found this recipe for a Greek couscous salad. It spoke to me, y'all. (I have a very large part of food heart devoted to feta cheese and olives.)

As is always the case with recipes that are as flexible as this one, I nipped and tucked it a bit to suit my tastes. What I came up with was a salad so fantastic that I considered eating it all by myself. The kids won't like it, I thought, and neither will my husband, so I won't even offer it to them... except that they did like it. Love it, even. I was kind and shared my new Best Food Find (BFF) with the fam, and then greedily went to the store to gather more ingredients for my very own supply. I think I have a problem.... ?

Please join me in my stingy hoarding of fantastic food by whipping up your own very easy, very customizeable Greek Couscous Salad.

(If you are a die hard numbers-by-the-book kind of cook, please look away.)

Greek Couscous Salad

1 (10 oz.) box of couscous
cucumber, seeded and chopped
cherry tomatoes, halved
red onion, chopped
olives, sliced (whichever variety you prefer)
1 (6 oz.) container crumbled Feta cheese
Greek viniagrette salad dressing

1. Prepare couscous according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

2. Add desired quantities of cucumber, tomatoes, onion and olives to couscous, mix well.

3. Add salad dressing until salad reaches desired moistness.

YOU NEED THIS SALAD IN YOUR LIFE!

2 tips left at the bar:

Bj in Dallas said...

Yum, yum yum, this salad WILL be in my life. I love couscous as much as I love Chardonnay...
well maybe very closely.

Well, not quite as much.

penelope said...

Sounds delish.