shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pensive

So… I’ve come to the bar tonight to say that in regards to this Presidential election, I’ve made up my mind. A few weeks ago, I thought I had my mind made up, but more mulling and researching brought me back over to the other side of the fence, and I am now fully confident in my choice. In fact, I’m so set in my vote that I’ve progressed from mulling into full-on stewing. It’s not that I feel my candidate is perfect, or that his promised policies are so fabulous. The truth is that I still don’t believe either candidate is proposing anything truly spectacular. I would love more than anything to see candidates that put forth ideas that make sense and are truly in the best interest of our nation, even if they are not terribly “popular.” In my mind, neither candidate fits this bill.

Megan recently asked what our deal-breaker issues are, and putting more thought into the matter over the past few weeks, I’d like to respond that my deal-breaker is failing to uphold the Constitution. More than anything, I would hate to see policies put into to action that screwed with the very basics of America. I feel like one candidate’s ideas very much fit this bill. And so I am voting against him.

Unfortunately, instead of feeling enthusiastic about my vote, I feel… disheartened. Disillusioned? Disgruntled. Decidedly.

As with the end of any election, I’m sick of hearing about it, kind of can’t wait for it to be all over. Except that I feel like so many are missing the point with their choice of candidate this time around. When people vote for change, are they voting for good change? Or are they voting for a whole new set of problems.

That question is rhetorical, by the way.

For my own, um… safety in the bar, comments are closed on this post. I just wanted to share a few of my thoughts as a perpetual on-the-fencer, maybe unload some of this weight on my mind. I tried to do so in the most restrained way possible.

…It was really difficult.

Some parting food for thought: check out this recent story from 20/20. I think it’s pretty neat. Even though it offers me no better solution in this election, short of marking None of the Above.