shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

One More Book

image

In honor of Fall TV’s return, and in particular ANTM, I’m reading A Model Summer, by Paulina Porizkova. Yes, the Paulina Porizkova, the very same one who replaced Twiggy on the judging panel last season. She writes! Novels! And I’ll tell you, it’s a pretty good story so far. I’m impressed with the writing style, and the voice she presents for 16-year-old Jirina, a newbie, Swedish-Czech model trying to break into the business one summer in Paris. This main character is not the vapid personality one might expect from a model, young or old; while she plays the ingénue, she’s got a little snark in her, which I very much appreciate, not to mention something of the underdog. I like to imagine there’s a piece of the young Paulina in Jirina. And although I’m only three or four chapters in, I’m rooting for this girl, and can’t wait to see how the story turns out.

0 tips left at the bar: