shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Friday, July 11, 2008

WTFriday: Southern(???) Rock

Kid Rock's new song blatantly rips off Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" and Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama" with an anthem that retells the story of Alan Jackson's "Chattahoochee" in the worst kind of Southern white trash way. And Kid Rock ain't even from the South, yo. WTF?

7 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

I feel like I need a bath.

Anonymous said...

wow. that's pretty bad. I kept waiting to hear the howl "awooooo!"
And the pure makeout scenes. .totally not needed; the strong suggestion of sex is quite enough without witnessing it. But Kid, he lives that rock and roll lifestyle, no? In the trashy kind of way. Stripper pole on top of the double-decker boat. aw, yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
And. . .I gotta admit, I do still love his voice, though, is that horrible? And it's kind of catchy, right? If you give credit where credit is due (by saying the song in your song), does that excuse that you're ripping it off? Smart move to use some successful songs to try to make your own, but it's risky to be so flippant with those loyal to the (better) originals.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. . "things" and "things" that's the best rhyme you could come up with? that's weak.

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you...video aside...I actually like this song. I love Skynard so I hate that he ripped off some of their shit, but I will admit it. I like this one. ::hangs head in shame::
Can I still have a drink though?!

Anonymous said...

I admit to playing it more than once and bopping my head around.
so, I'll drink "whiskey out 'da bottle" with you. Maybe after a *few* drinks others will see the merits of the song as well and be up on the bar dancing with us? It's catchy I tell you - how could it not be with those well-established beats?!

ashley said...

Catchy? Maybe. Merit? No way.

Anonymous said...

Megan, you don't need a bath. Just dive off the second level of the pontoon boat into the lake!

I think Kid's rap background taught him how to "sample" someone else's songs a.k.a rip them off.
Personally, I like the video (no suprise there) but I think it is more because I had a Camaro, w/ T-tops of course, in high school and have been known to drink a little whiskey.

Merit? Definitely not but I really don't think he has any pretensions about the type of music he makes. After all who doesn't "wanna be a cowboy!"