shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Monday, July 7, 2008

Why Do You Drink? It's A...

Family Tradition!

Yes, it's true. The holiday tradition that best suits me and my family, is drinking. I know, I know. Why do you think I work at a bar?

There are some slight exceptions, from way back in the depths of time, when both of my parents lived in the same town. Exceptions that were lovely, like going to the candlelight service at my grandparent's church on Christmas Eve and then going to their house to open gifts that night, but nothing that stayed continuous.

Except the drinking.

Perhaps we are just a fun loving bunch. Or perhaps we just can't stand each other. Either way, somebody, somewhere, was having a drink.

Some holidays just lend themselves to consumption, and who are we to pass on an opportunity? New Year's Eve, the Fourth of July and birthdays are obvious examples, but since we are of Irish descent (note: possible genetic link to drinking) we celebrate like mad on St. Patrick's Day too. And even though there's not an ounce of Mexican blood in the family, we sure do like some Mexican food so Cinco de Mayo is mucho importanto as well.

Not all of the imbibing is in a raucous manner. We can drink politely and with manners too. The Big Meal Holidays (BMH) just seem to go better with a glass of wine, no? Christmas is the top dog of the BMH because we start drinking mimosas first thing in the morning. With some quiche. My mom started having mimosas while we opened gifts, possibly in an effort to put up with me and my sister at our cracked-out Christmas morning best, and everybody knows you shouldn't drink on an empty stomach, especially at 7 am.

In fact, I have carried that on to my own house while watching Ella open her gifts. Mimosas and quiche and present opening. Maybe we do have a family (drinking) tradition after all!

2 tips left at the bar:

penelope said...

A glass of wine helps the medicine go down, or the family gathering, as it were!

Are the drinks holiday-tailored (green beer for St. Patty's, margaritas for Cinco, etc.), or does everyone have their old standby fav that they drink all year round?

Anonymous said...

That's great. . I don't know if I would have thought to pull out this common thread, but it definitely exists in my family as well!

mimosas, quiche and opening presents -- that really does sound like a fabulous time!