shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Damn Fickle Machines

Dearest Computer,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways: (1) You help me stay connected to family and friends. (2) You help me create and store personal thoughts and pictures. (3) You help me earn my paycheck. You are wonderful - in theory. And yet, in practice, I loathe thee as well. You are the vilest of creatures with the most wondrous capabilities; a wolf in sheep's clothing. Your potential is so great and your claims of greatness are definitely unparallelled. I know you are capable of so much more than I can even fathom, but I'm not even asking for that amount - I just want to be able to use you in a normal way without pulling my hair out. Is that really so much to ask?

It's a delicate relationship we have together. Why must I rely on you so? You lead me on. Every time I think I can stand on my own, you show back up with some flashy new trinket to pull me back into your grasp and I feel myself falling all over again. I realize I have issues at home and work (yes, I have multiple partners), and further, I understand that I may be the common denominator, but I refuse to believe it's all operator error. It's you, not me! I recognize that I push you to your limits by loading programs such as "AOHell" Norton 360 or Adobe Photoshop that completely lock things up - especially if you try to run them simultaneously (as I do at work almost daily). But, I have to work and I don't like change. I like my comfort zone, am familiar with my browser and like the fact that my email address hasn't changed in well over a decade. I'm stable like that, see? It's a trait you are sorely lacking and need to work on. And I understand that I have umpteen million gigasomethings of pictures stored for you to maintain. But, I still expect to be able to do things in a timely manner. Normal, simple things - like open programs or routine key strokes. In theory, you are built to handle these things. You are supposed to be such a great time-saver and yet, have been one of the biggest wasters of time in my life as I sit and wait for you to sort things out, load pages or scan things; spinning your little hour glass, taunting me. I know you are supposedly scanning for potential threats that could wreak havoc and cause me a lot of frustration, but waiting on you to do them is extremely trying as well. I struggle to stay focused at work as it is, why must you make it that much more troublesome and distracting by not letting me work efficiently? And believe me, I have enough practice with patience with my kids and do not need you using up my limited supplies so that I end up snapping and taking it out on them!

This tirade extends to your parts and components as well. I cleaned the mouse. I took the little ball out and rolled it around in my hand to clean it off and I sprayed it inside and out with compacted air - I know how you like that. I put new batteries in the mouse as well; what more do you want from me? Why can't you work and respond in a decent and timely manner?! I know I am abusive and bang the mouse around, but you drive me to do it!

I get so frustrated waiting on you and being confounded by you. You are the bane of my existence. Like insurance, I've gotta have you, but you make what could be a beautiful match, very unpleasant. One day, I hope to have a more healthy relationship with you where we stay happy together (read: you give me what I want, when I want it).

Thank you!

Love Always,
Andi

3 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

Ooh, what timing you have to write a nasty letter to your computer, since mine caused me to bang on it and cuss loudly last night!

Bastards!

Anonymous said...

Lord, I've felt like writing this nasty gram many a time. Usually it's meant for Michael Dell and his cronies... :)

penelope said...

Thank you. I can now take "computer, and all its programs and parts" off my list of poison pen candidates, because you said it all, sista. And me too, with the timing this week. I mean month. Grrr!