shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Practical luxury

Surprisingly, it was difficult for me to come up with a luxury item for our retreat next month. I'm just not the pointy-shoe*, high-maintenance, luxury kind. I think our cabin itself is where it's at. And with a laptop already spoken for and games (both the pool and air hockey! tables inside the cabin and Scrabble in Megan's suitcase), I'm set! The only thing I was thinking about bringing was baking supplies - like flour, sugar, Pam, oregano. Things you normally have stocked in your own pantry, and that you don't want to have to buy full containers of for a couple of nights that will only require using a small amount. I imagine we'll all go to the store and throw things into the buggy and just divide up the bill. So, who would get to take home the other 1 1/2 lbs of flour after we've made several dozen batches of cookies? It's just easier (to me) to plan ahead a little and bring what you know you'll need. Like if anyone thinks they want me to make the Tuna Melts for a meal, I'll bring oregano and olive oil and such.

Oh, and do you think the cabin has a blender? Because that will be clutch when I get ready to whip up my famous pina coladas or strawberry daiquiris.

*My husband and I have a theory that the more pointed the shoe, the more high maintenance. think about it.

4 tips left at the bar:

Bj in Dallas said...

My group did the Gang Shop at the Mexican market and we had mostly beer. And limes. And tequilla. Somebody bought eggs
Somebody bought ketchup for the eggs.
Somebody bought Mexican Brie (we don't recommend it)
OH, and we had locally made Chips and fresh Salsa. that was muy bueno.
I always pack coffee and sugar cause thats how I roll....

Anonymous said...

My girlies do a lake trip every year. Actually, it's called The Bitches Lake Trip. We do a mass shop as well, and have The Bitches Bank so everyone can true up at the end.
But the house is owned by one of the girls, so the pantry is sticked with the staples. So I personally think planning ahead for things like COOKIES is very wise!
And BJ & I are still trying to plot an escape to show up...

Niki said...

I was totally thinking of this, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Maybe one of us should bring a mixer as well?

Ruby said...

I bet my huge ass pantry has enough stuff in it that we won't even need to go shopping!

Except we will totally need a blender. And a mixer. And lots of ICE. :)