shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Friday, July 18, 2008

WTFriday: NOT on the Christmas Wish List

I was flipping through the latest Parenting magazine yesterday, and they mentioned this book, called My Beautiful Mommy. Not in a good way, thankfully. Written by Michael Salzhauer, M.D., it’s geared toward children whose mommies have gone under the knife, or are about to, and how to cope with the experience.

I mean… really?

Ew.

MBM

4 tips left at the bar:

Anonymous said...

I have seen/heard about this book as well and sadly, there kind of is a need for how to help kids understand when their mommies undergo radical changes - especially facial changes that affect recognition! Moreover, the deeper issues of teaching your child confidence and acceptance without the undertone of, "but, if you're not happy, you can change yourself!"

penelope said...

I know. I find it sad that there's a need, but also really question that the book wouldn't send the message that plastic surgery's "the thing to do" if you're not happy with the way you look. I don't know the exact content, but considering the author's occupation, I have my doubts...

Anonymous said...

OMG, I've heard about this book! I can't even begin to type what I think about this book. Sadly like Andi said though, there probably is a need for some kind of self help for kids who deal with their mothers completely changing overnight. Geez...we live in a crazy world.

jenn said...

Gross! What a terrible reflection of our appearance-obsessed society that this book exists. . . so sad.