shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tradition Exchange

This question actually startled me a bit - when I really thought about it, we have very few traditions that happen every year.  Especially since the addition of in-laws, and now children, to the family circle, traditions have had to flex and bend with the changing needs of the majority.  There are a few things that are constant, like food.  No matter the occasion, you can bet the family is going to enjoy something tasty.  So this lack of solid tradition - and maybe a little of recent happenings - made me think about traditions I'd like to have or maintain.

Keep: Every year on Christmas Eve, we open one gift.  This tradition has stayed on, even though recent Christmas Eves have just been me and Mom and Dad.  The Christmas Eve gift is special because it makes everyone focus on the gift giving and the recipient and the opening.  It's a good reminder that the season is about giving and sharing in the joy of giving.  And somehow, it always sweetened the anticipation of Christmas morning to get that little taste on Christmas Eve.

Start: Birthdays at our house have never been a big deal.  Maybe it's because - as my birthday card from fellow Smartini-tender Niki pointed out - it's overshadowed by a national holiday.  I never had parties because friends were always on vacation or had family obligations.  I mostly got over it - I've tried to remind myself that it's just a day, and I've kind of distanced myself from brewing up great big excitement over my birthday.  To be honest, some years I dread it because I just don't want to be disappointed.  So...my tradition henceforth is to commit to a special birthday.  To plan for a special something - whether it's a splurge on a gourmet cake or a trip to a new place or an adventure at a familiar place.  And if I ever have wee little lads and lasses, I hope I remember that it's just a day, but it's worth celebrating.  (As another fellow Smartini-tender most graciously reminded me on the card that accompanied the gorgeous bouquet that arrived at my deskside today.  Thanks, Tempe, for helping me start a new tradition.)

6 tips left at the bar:

Tempe said...

We do the same thing on Christmas Eve - I think it started when I was a kid to kind of placate me until the morning (I was never much for delayed gratication). It ended up being just as special as it is in your family!

Good for you for making a point to make the day of your birth special. Birthdays ARE a big deal and should be treated as such (says the only child - ha!).

I'm so glad that you like your flowers! :)

Anonymous said...

I admit I am shocked to learn this about your family, Ashley - although I do fully understand the ever-changing dynamics of an expanding family and the need to be flexible. I fully expected a tradition-packed post. But, I'm glad you do have some things you treasure and want to uphold and agree that birthdays should be celebrated and made special! So, good for you for your new resolution to do something special for yourself and have something to look forward to.

Tempe - what a fantastic friend! Great thinking on the flowers! Maybe people paid more attention to you and your special day, Ashley, with a big beautiful bouquet on your desk?

Niki said...

I love Christmas Eve presents! My sister and I always get pajamas. Most of the time mine don't fit properly (for whatever reason), but I still get excited every year.

Totally have to splurge for yourself on your birthday - that's what they're all about!

penelope said...

I fully support making your own b-day a big deal. And you know, THIRTY will be an excellent place to start. ;)

Ruby said...

I'm thinking that perhaps you should begin planning a Smashing 4th of July Celebration and Oh By the Way It's My Birthday in Two Days type get together. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I'm seeing a birthday cake topped with a shitload of sparklers in your future... :)

jenn said...

I agree with Pen. . . 30 will be the perfect time to start making each birthday fabulous!

Your Christmas Eve tradition sounds wonderful.