shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Friday, July 11, 2008

Since you asked…

KLoChristmas I suppose I must out myself at this time as the World’s Biggest Christmas Nerd. It’s true. I’m Crazy for Christmas, always have been. It could very well be genetic. In fact, it probably is genetic. You should see my Mom’s house at Christmas! It’s fantastic! I’ve got so many ornaments and decorations myself that I’m embarrassed to ask for help with moving. “What IS all this stuff, Pen?” Ummm…  boxes full of Christmas Crap? Yeah. What can I say. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been given ornaments and such for birthdays and Christmas, and over the years have amassed quite a collection.

What I love even more about Christmas, though, is the celebration factor. Christmas Eve, in particular. Every year, it’s spent at my parents’ house, and we have a specific menu that’s been in place for (I believe) at least all of my 30 years. We do change things up a bit occasionally to Defy the Rut, but a large part of it is set in stone: shrimp, with Pen’s famous cocktail sauce, crab legs, an assortment of crackers and cheese with pepperoni and beef stick (Hickory Farms’ finest, obvi), deviled eggs, and whatever chip and vegetable dip suits our fancy that year. Last year, I believe we made a spinach-artichoke dip. Drinks include rum-infused eggnog, wine, beer. And for dessert, if you’ve even got any room, we put out a two-tiered cookie tray.

After dinner, the present-fest begins. Newcomers to our Crazy for Christmas world might be a *tad* shocked at the scene, with the sheer volume of presents. What can I say, though, we’re Givers, the whole lot of us. And though every year, I’m beyond pleased and overwhelmed with my own haul, I most enjoy taking in the scene, watching everyone else and their own pile o’ presents. Even more fun these days, now that I’ve got kids.

5 tips left at the bar:

Anonymous said...

While I find that an interesting Christmas meal, the great love of the season and tradition sounds beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Ruby said...

Pen, you sweet, sweet Yankee, Pen. I love what you bring to the bar, my friend, because I'm going to go out on a limb and say that none of the other bartenders have ever had shrimp and crab legs at Christmas.

Isn't Christmas the best? (As is that pic of K.Lo!)

penelope said...

Really?! Not even on Christmas Eve? The mind boggles.

Anonymous said...

Megs, I was this close to writing (Damn Yankee) after my comment about it being an interesting Christmas meal, but I refrained. Way to call her out on it (in true, Southern style with grace and class of coure).
Bless your little heart, Pen, we do appreciate your contributions here at the bar.

And I, too, LOVE that picture.

jenn said...

I am also a complete and total Christmas nerd and eagerly await Christmas every year. My mom used to take three days off of work just to decorate our house, and that wasn't even enough time, so I totally am with you on random boxes of Christmas crap.

I love the picture. . . so beautiful. It makes me wish it was December!