shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's all about Family and Food

I thought I was going to pick just one holiday and talk about my love for it for this week's special, but I found myself wanting to relish and share things about several different ones (go figure, I'm not one to edit. big surprise.)

You'll notice desserts are a common essential part of the holidays -- Christmas cookies, special birthday cakes, banana pudding at Thanksgiving. My family amazed guests when we would eat an entire dessert in one sitting. You sit the cake down on the table and everyone gets a slice (which is a considerable dent, mind you with so many people) but then it's just left sitting out and people nibble off of it as we talk and drink, until it's gone. There's rarely any left over dessert. That and the drinking, as Megan mentioned, are common factors in our celebrations that tend to help elevate the sentiment of the holiday. The Lake also seems to be a common thread.

*We traditionally spend 4th of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day at the lake. When I was young, we used to take a family vacation to Florida with 2 other families every year, but once my parents got the lakehouse (when I was in 2nd grade), they decided that's where we were going to spend our time and abandoned other travel vacations. And it's been great to grow up with such a great retreat. It's been such an integral part of our lives, it's where Hubby & I got married and more recently when my brother got married. Many holidays are held there and as our family has grown, expanded and spread out, my parents have been understanding of other commitments and have just said, "we'll be here, come if you can." With 4 kids, it's hard to get everyone together, so holidays are made special by getting us all together. We may be in and out and passing each other briefly, but for at least one meal, we'll be together. It's also nice, though, having 4 kids, because if you can't make it, there are others to distract from your absence - unlike an only child that would be missed a little more. Hubby & I have created our own 4th of July gathering at the lake with friends. This year should have marked the 10th year, but we had a very small group show up. Most years, it's a much bigger ordeal (coordinating menus and sleeping arrangements) and is a fun gathering to look forward to catching up with many old friends.

*Birthdays are special and my mom did a good job of recognizing it and making sure we got our choice of meal (chicken pot pie) and cake (cookie cake!) I've read about someone's mom that tied balloons on their chair in the morning and had breakfast ready for them and I thought that was sweet and simple and hopefully I'll find ways to make my kids feel important on their day. I just want it to be recognized. Coming so soon after Christmas, sometimes my birthday could be an afterthought, but usually was far enough away people remembered, they just didn't think about it much in advance because of the holidays. And my siblings were all in May and June, so they had pool parties every year, so that was hard to handle at times. Poor Sweet Pea being 3 days before Christmas. . .I still want to make sure she gets a celebration. Maybe a 1/2 birthday party in the summer every year? I want to be that mom that brings cupcakes to school and makes sure it's celebrated. We even had a 1st birthday for our dog (he was our first baby after all) with lots of neighborhood dogs and enjoyed doggie ice cream and everything. I remember when it wasn't cool to really bring up the fact that it was your birthday and you kind of had to test people and see if anyone remembered on their own. But, I think it's something you've got to share with people and solicit well wishes! People are too absorbed, unfortunately. Hubby's family doesn't really make a big deal out of birthdays (cards and usually gift or money, maybe a treat or dessert) and I had to emphasize early on that I expected it to be a BIG deal. The past several years for my birthday, my siblings have come up to our house and cooked dinner for us and it's been something I have really enjoyed.
*Every year, I did get flowers (roses) for our anniversary, which was a nice "tradition." And we put all cards standing up on the mantel for several days - for birthdays, Mother's or Father's Day, Anniversary, Easter, etc.

*I LOVE Thanksgiving because it's all about Food and Thanks. And Family. And drinking. All things I'm really big on. Hubby likes the real home-made banana pudding, where you stand over the hot stove stirring for an hour; but it's actually part of the process and is fun to incorporate. Then there is shopping the day after Thanksgiving. Some people might dread this event while others revel in it. It's not something I had with my own family, but go most years with Hubby's mama and sister and is important, because it's when I get a lot of my clothes for Christmas (for myself from them!) And it's a fun little outing. Also, some friends host a day-after Thanksgiving brunch, which has become a fun time for old friends to gather and not eat left overs, but instead enjoy yummy fresh breakfast foods.

*Growing up, we had a tradition of cutting down a live Christmas tree. My mom's birthday is in December, so we'd usually try to wait until after it, but whenever we could all get together. Hubby & I have forked over the money (so far - those things are expensive around here!) to continue getting a live tree. Even if we aren't actually cutting it down, we still go to pick it out together. I love getting out Christmas decorations and having them around the house - especially new ones that I got the year before that haven't been out yet. Hubby's mama got me started dating some ornaments and decorations, so that's fun to look at how long things have been around as well. And I just Love sitting up at night (during my down time alone) with just the smell and glow of the tree. We also have a tradition of baking our Mema's Christmas cookies. They are some seriously good cookies (with a top secret ingredient!) The story goes that my dad embarrassed my Mema so much one time when he was young eating so many of these cookies when they were guests in someone's house, that she got the recipe and has made them every year since. We used to rely on Mema to have them handy and then started making them ourselves - in addition to the ones she'd have. Most recently, I've really enjoyed getting together with my Sister to make them. It's a process that is so much more enjoyable with help, especially since I make so many and it involves rolling and cutting out shapes and icing. I make enough to give out tins (which I really enjoy selecting and collecting) to neighbors and co-workers, which is another part of the holiday I enjoy. Well, it's kind of a love-hate relationship, honestly. It's definitely more fun with someone helping and rewarding to give, but can become expected and difficult to time getting it all together during the crazy holiday season. I also really LOVE Christmas cards. I love sending them and I love getting them. Each year, I have about 80 that I send out. And my tree card holder makes me so happy. I also have a card holder on the mantel, too. I remember growing up we'd travel to grandparents houses and have a week long gift opening spree. But, it was usually important for us to be back home Christmas Eve so we could be at home Christmas morning. In recent years, some of my mom's family that we don't normally see also host a Christmas Party that's become a fun get together. My dad's side of the family typically gets together on Christmas Eve for dinner and gift exchange, so that makes it exciting as well. On Christmas morning we would take our stockings that are laid out by our door down to mom and dad's room without peeking into the living room (usually had a sheet hung up in the opening) and doing those first while they woke up and got coffee going, before getting to go upstairs and opening the other gifts. My mom always gave us Thank You cards in our stocking and I credit that tradition for my strong sense of etiquette and writing Thank You notes. I definitely want to pass that on to my kids and think it's really important. We usually had a pancake breakfast after the gift opening carnage. Hubby's family traditions were a little more subdued. They would have a quiet Christmas Eve at home with each other, eating sandwiches, making snowflakes, paper chains and other decorations, playing Christmas checkers (the pieces were trees and Santas) and then they'd go ride around to look at Christmas lights. I think that sounds just as magical and hope we can incorporate lots of the magic of the season into what we'll establish as our own traditions with our kids.

3 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

Y'all really do have some fantastic traditions! Perhaps I should aim for more, instead of just drinking?

I'm with you on cutting down a fresh tree and yikes! are they expensive! I don't believe I've ever had Mema's cookies, though... Sounds like I need to make plans to 'be in the neighborhood' this Christmas! :)

Niki said...

Birthdays are totally a big deal - Boss's party looked so fun!

I love that Christmas tree card holder - I never know what to do with my cards (now that I've started getting my own set).

Pictures of the lake are gorgeous! Sigh, one day I hope to renew my annual appearance that the 4th.

jenn said...

All of your traditions sounds so wonderful! I love that your mom gave you all thank you cards every year. How nice.

I have started making cookies every year at Christmas in the last few years, and now I look forward to it as an integral part of my holiday celebrations.

I think it is so lovely that you and your family have been able to celebrate so many holidays together at the lake. I would imagine just having a special place to go makes them that more memorable.