shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Holiday Traditions: Then and Now

Ok, now before you go saying this post is "typical Niki" (which it totally is, by the way), I want you all to know that I'm down with the family holidays and traditions, too. It's just that mine aren't vastly different from anyone else's, so I thought I'd throw a little something different into the mix (although maybe perhaps not that different).

As a child:

My favorite holiday was Valentine's Day. All the kids loved Christmas, and even though I liked it as well, I just wanted to be different. I wanted to pick something unique to be my "favorite." Valentine's Day was always fun when you were in grade school. All the kids decorated a paper bag. Then you taped the bag to the front of the chalkboard, all in a row (memory is failing - was it about a week before? the day before?). After that, you would write cartoon valentines for every kid in your class and place them in their respective bags.
On February 14th, you had a Valentine's Party with cupcakes, ice cream, and all kinds of goodies. Not only did you get goodies, but you missed class, which was always awesome. At the Valentine's Party, you got to read all the valentines that people put in your bag.

That's what was so great about the kid version of V-day - everyone always got something. Of course, it was also fun to go through and pick your favorite Valentine from your packet to give to your crush and to be *sure* they had done the same for you. (And he totally wrote you a special message, right?)

I remember one Valentine's Day, maybe in 4th grade, a boy I knew veered from the standard path and actually gave me a gift. I had no idea how to respond. I said thanks, then panicked. You see, I was the girl who totally tried to hide her crushes and any mention of boys to her parents. I had grown up watching sister, brother, and cousins get teased by family and I wanted NO PART of that. Therefore, what the hell was I supposed to do with the Valentine's gift?

I did what any self-respecting 4th-grade tomboy does in that position: I gave it away. It was something I didn't like anyway, so I didn't feel too bad. Poor guy. Oh well.

Now, in true Niki rebel fashion, I loathe Valentine's Day. I hate that it's so manufactured. I hate that you're supposed to feel like crap if you don't have a Valentine. I hate that Hallmark has to tell you when to tell someone s/he is special; it would mean so much more to me to get chocolate/roses/dinner/whatever on a totally random day rather than stupid Valentine's Day. Hate.

As an older person:

Well duh, my favorite holiday is my birthday because it's all about me, but beyond that, I think I'm gonna have to go with New Year's Eve. New Year's Eve is sort of the only holiday that is basically "Adults Only." It's like Adult Swim at the pool - sometimes the kids hop in, but really they don't understand what it's all about. (In case you're wondering, New Year's Eve is all about Andre Spumante $5 champagne.)

It's fun to get dressed up, put on some sparkles, and wear those fancy shoes. New Year's Eve is the only holiday where it's completely socially acceptable to get drunk (er, unless you grew up in Megan's family) and make out with a stranger (at midnight); indeed, it's rather expected. Sometimes the pressure of New Year's Eve to be stellar can be a bit much, but I've come to realize that being low-key can be really fun as well. You just have to be open-minded and bring the party with you.

Then of course, there are fireworks and the apple drop in Times Square. I LOVE THE APPLE DROP, people. One year we were at a house party that did not have the apple drop, and for me it was like we never rang in the new year. (This *may* have been same year I semi-streaked around the house in the rain at midnight, but I can't be sure.) The apple drop is key. KEY.

As if all this weren't fabulous enough, the fates gave us the next day off - New Year's Day - as like "Official Hangover Day." You're expected to sleep in, watch the parade or whatever, and then park your butt on the couch all day for football with some pizza and Tostitos. What can be better than this I ask?

Well, ok, maybe a Valentine's baggie with some Scooby Doo valentines, but not a whole lot else.

3 tips left at the bar:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love how you're always mixing it up around here.
I have to say ringing in the New Year with you is quite the experience!

Ruby said...

Oh, I can just imagine the pain of that poor little boy who gave you a gift for Valentine's Day! Don't you know his mama picked it out for his 'little girlfriend'? You were a man killer, all the way back then!

Andre Spumante is some good, economical stuff.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me - I thought it was about passing around and chugging the communal bottle of Boone's Farm?