shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Morning Shot of Butterbeer

Funny, sobering, inspiring: A friend sent me a link to the transcript of JK Rowling's Commencement speech at this year's Harvard graduation. I was not previously aware of JK's early work experience with Amnesty International; the speech illuminates even more the thoughts and experience that informed her writing of Harry Potter.

Regardless, I just love her and would read what she had to say on just about anything. If she penned a car owner's manual, I'd probably pre-order it on amazon for $17.95. Anyway, read and enjoy.

2 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

She is so brilliant.

So true, so true. I love that she went through some tough times and and isn't all about telling people how not to go through them themselves, but rather to possibly experience it and be a better person for it.

The part about how rock bottom is the foundation that she built upon is great.

I think I would buy that car manual too!

Anonymous said...

I didn't read the transcipt (just yet - more vino to consume this week) but wanted to say that we took the train to Firenze (is this the worst kind of name-dropping or what? casually throwing that in the midst of my comment)yesterday and I totally feel like I'm part of Harry's world thinking about traveling by train!!