shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just Another Day in the Life

I have just returned from a morning surf, about to munch on some organic, granola-y, brunchy stuff whipped up by my personal chef when the phone rings.


"Kristen! Hey!"


It's Kristen "Veronica Mars" Bell. You may have heard that Kristen is an animal lover, just like me. She's calling me about PUPs - People Understanding Pets - it's a non-profit organization we started together. Instead of just donating gaggles of money to animal shelters, we're working to educate children and adults about how to be proper pet owners. We're setting up lots of offices around the country for groups to go into schools and community centers for regular pet education classes. This way, we help improve pets' lives and also hopefully reduce the number of pets in shelters. (Hayden Pantie-face or whatever is also trying to get in on it, but really I'm just appeasing her to get to Milo. SHHH. Don't tell!)


Kristen and I have been great friends ever since she starred as me in the feature film based on my book. As a young attorney in the South, I uncovered all kinds of scandal and drama concerning several judges and attorneys in my city. After assisting in an under-cover investigation, I wrote the tell-all best-seller that was quickly optioned for a movie.


And...Voila! Now I'm part-time pro bono death penalty lawyer, part-time animal educator, and part-time globetrotter. I split my time between the "mountain house" in Asheville, NC, and the "beach house" in Byron Bay, Australia.


Even though I'm obsessed with living green, I will confess to indulging in the private jet. But really, it was totally necessary! How else could I cart around my dogs, my trainers and coaches, my chef, my surfboards, my bike, my massuese, my hairstylist, my shoes (because please - I need to go from day to night, from indoors to outdoors, people - that a ton of shoes), and all those doggie toys!


Enough chit-chat. My yoga instructor is coming in half an hour, and I've still got to pack for that 6 week retreat in Nepal we're going on tomorrow. But hey, if you see Matthew McConaughey, tell him I want my original African drums back!

5 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

Sounds like you have got it all planned out! You wouldn't, perhaps, be uncovering all sorts of scandal in your for reals job, would you?

'Hayden Pantie-face' makes me laugh and laugh some more, just like the 3rd grader I am. :)

penelope said...

Kristen Bell totally seems like she would be a fun girl to have as a BFF. And playing you in the movie! That's rad.

Anonymous said...

Can I join you in Nepal? I want to sit in those white chairs on that ledge and just feel dizzy looking at that expansive view. Or a trip to Australia could work, too.
LOVE Kristen Bell - that would totally rock to hang with her. Great choice!

tempe & chris said...

Hayden Pantie-face. LOVE it.

jenn said...

This is an awesome post, and so totally you. I love it. :)