shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Are Vampires Good? I Know Not.

Where have I been while a new J.K. Rowling has possibly been crowned? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Have y'all heard about Twilight, a super big hit with the young adult crowd (and plain ol' adult crowd too), about a vampire and his new love?

Help me out here... Do I need to rush off to the library for this? I was hesitant about my good friend Harry in the beginning too, so do I ignore my initial reaction to vampire stories and pick it up anyway?

If there is something as fun and intriguing as HP out there and I have been skipping along, tra-la-la, without it, I'm going to be ticked. Apparently I have issues with feeling the need to read books geared toward middle schoolers. I repeat: WHAT IS GOING ON?

(I did read that there isn't a lick of sex in the book (and subsequent books, come to find out) so maybe a good trashy romance novel is in order? Those heaving bosoms and bulging rods are definitely not geared toward middle schoolers. Therapy for my juvenile brain, perhaps?)

4 tips left at the bar:

penelope said...

Yes, you should absolutely read it. I wouldn't expect JK out of it--never expect JK out of anyone but JK, as a rule. But it's a good, fun, delicious read. Gets a little made-for-TV movie toward the end, but worth it in that addictive, summer-book way.

I haven't yet read the sequels, but they're on my list. Also, the author is working on the first book from the vampire's perspective, which I'm totally intrigued by. I credit M who introduced me to this find back in her retail bookstore days.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I hadn't heard of this series at all, either and I'm intrigued. Since Moonlight got canceled, maybe this could help fill that void. I found the human-vampire relationship really fascinating. And come on, who isn't a fan of Buffy?! Vampire folklore is pretty rich.

Anonymous said...

Yes, definitely read it! It's great for a relaxing summer book.

It's more of a romance than a vampire story, though. Harry Potter puts magical people in a magical setting, while Twilight puts mythical creatures in a very ordinary and human setting. It's a pretty different take on vampires, too, which is always interesting.

jenn said...

How have I not heard of this? Sounds like a fun summer book. It's on my list as soon as I finish The Amber Spyglass!