shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crunchy Salad

I heart crunchy things. Many of my favorite foods are crunchy, bland things. Something so satisfying about crunchy food to me, crunchy food with no flavor to be precise. I know, I'm weird. What else is new? Anyway, I completely made this recipe up about two weeks ago and am totally addicted to its crunchy bliss - and its healthy and tasty, too! I have eaten it almost every night I have the supplies along with whatever other random thing I can find to eat in my kitchen.

A few Christmases ago my cousin's wife brought a variation to our annual get-together, and I nearly ate the entire bowl full. When I stumbled upon broccoli cole slaw in the produce section the other day, I decided to rip off what I could remember from that recipe. Since I made it up, I didn't measure anything out and just use however much I want and tastes good on a given night. I know, rocket science, right?

Broccoli cole slaw
Slivered almonds
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
*Chow mein noodles or Ramen noodles (unprepared)

Throw everything in a bowl. Stir it up. Eat it or put it in the fridge for a little while (20-30 minutes is good. Maybe overnight? I haven't tried that far in advance), then eat it.

It really is very tasty with the chow mein noodles or Ramen, however the chow mein noodles have the dreaded trans fat, like a ridiculous amount of trans fat for such a small amount of food (I didn't remember to check until after I'd bought them and eaten them), and Ramen has a giant amount of straight-up fat for such a small portion. I'm currently seeking a healthy linear crunchy goodness alternative to these fatties and am open to suggestions.

3 tips left at the bar:

tempe & chris said...

YUM! I am definitely making this for lunch next week!

Have you tried rice noodles? You could try cooked and chilled rice noodles with a little thai peanut sauce (or balsamic, like in your recipe). Here's the nutrition data:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5790/2

penelope said...

Sounds tasty!

I bought some sort of rice chips this morning. I imagine they will be bland and crunchy goodness. Will pass along the info if they're good.

penelope said...

RiceWorks is the name of the chip brand, and yes they are tasty, definitely worth buying. All whole grains. Just saying, because I am now a food nerd and cannot help self. :)