shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Friday, November 7, 2008

WTFriday: I Think I'm Going To Puke

Molly, from I Need A Martini... Now!, posted this story earlier this week and I thought I might be sick. I really don't know whether to believe it or not, but the part of my brain that likes to sleep well at night chooses to say this is a sham. Somebody, please tell me that spiders like this do not exist!

(Here's the whole story, copied directly from the Telegraph's website.)

Giant Spider Eating A Bird Caught On Camera


By Bonnie Malkin in Sydney
Last Updated: 3:01pm GMT 22/10/2008


Photographs of a giant spider eating a bird in an Australian garden have stunned wildlife experts.

  • Another spider eats a bird
  • Mouse bites snake to death
  • Film of a hug from a lion
  • The pictures show the spider with its long black legs wrapped around the body of a dead bird suspended in its web.

    Giant spider eating a bird caught on camera


    The startling images were reportedly taken in Atheron, close to Queensland's tropical north.

    Despite their unlikely subject matter, the pictures appear to be real.

    Joel Shakespeare, head spider keeper at the Australian Reptile Park, said the spider was a Golden Orb Weaver.

    "Normally they prey on large insects… it's unusual to see one eating a bird," he told ninemsn.com.

    Mr Shakepeare said he had seen Golden Orb Weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.

    Queensland Museum identified the bird as a native finch called the Chestnut-breasted Mannikin.

  • Heron eats rabbit
  • Leopard savages crocodile
  • Shark's killing display
  • Mr Shakespeare told ninemsn the bird must have flown into the spider web and become stuck.

    "It wouldn't eat the whole bird," he said.


    Giant spider eating a bird caught on camera

    "It uses its venom to break down the bird for eating and what it leaves is a food parcel," he said.

    Greg Czechura from Queensland Museum said cases of the Golden Orb Weaver eating small birds were "well known but rare".

    "It builds a very strong web," he said.

    But he said the spider would not have attacked until the bird weakened.

    The Golden Orb Weaver spins a strong web high in protein because it depends on it to capture large insects for food.

    What do y'all think? If I lived in the area where these were supposedly taken, I'm pretty sure I would GET THE EFF OUT.

    4 tips left at the bar:

    Anonymous said...

    HA HA! I was so appalled by this that it was my WTF Friday last week. LOL I was so disturbed by it. ::shudders::

    Anonymous said...

    I think we should ask Le from Third on the Right, she's an Aussie. I'll send her over.

    And ICK is the only thing I have to say. Couldn't the person taking the photos have just saved the poor bird? I mean come on - if that thing eats birds, what would a bite to you end up looking like?

    (Sorry - I hate spiders. And this is way too much Circle of Life for me)

    Karen said...

    Poor bird! Those pictures make me soooo sad!

    Le said...

    hello there smartini girls ... as noted I have come on Sheila's behest (is that the right word ..)

    I lived in this part of Queensland for over two years and never did I see this site.

    I do know the spider - they can be big - big as my hand, but my hands are little. Like an over zealous daddy long legs ... but they stay in the garden so that is cool.

    The bird mentioned is super duper tiny - it would fit in the palm of my hand. The pics are deceiving ....

    Yet it is a horrid concept - I recommend a move to New Zealand where the spiders are non existant almost in the south island - and better yet no snakes whatsoever - hate snakes ...

    My worst snake drama was having a carpet snake try and eat my dog for a late night snack - chewbacca was one unhappy doggie the night the snake came in and gave him a big hug ....fortunately my bigger dog, palova, was there to raise the alarm and save the day ...

    and don't get me started on crododiles .... hate crocs ... except in shoes - nice enough then.

    Australia - a wild and frightening place - and that's just the suburbs .... cheers le