shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Thursday, September 4, 2008

On Politics

I am very happy to see that the post about Palin has sparked quite a fire amongst our readers. I always knew that our patrons were a lively bunch!

We are all smart, informed ladies (and some men?) that are entitled to express our opinions in a smart and informed way, and I hope that that continues. Not that I want the bar to break out into an all out brawl, but rather to present both sides, thoughts and observations so that we each do not go into the election with blinders on, only choosing to rant I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG!' As Pen stated, the Smartini barmaids do not all fall to the same side politically, which is good for us, and it's good for you.

I think the saying 'Never argue politics or religion' is absolutely correct because you typically will never change someone's mind. At best, you can discuss things intelligently and rationally and hopefully bring a new perspective to the subject. That's what we're all about here at the bar, being SMARTini and POLITEtini. So if you choose to participate (and I hope that you do) please remember to use your manners and your smarts. Because if you don't, Andi has a black belt and she will toss you out on your ass.

Having said that, I have a few thoughts to share (oh hell, here I go):

I found it highly amusing that all of the rumors about Palin being Trig's grandmother (and a Lifetime movie, as Niki pointed out) fit so well into our Weekly Special this week!

I commented earlier that maybe McCain chose Palin JUST IN CASE some Hillary voters would switch. I don't know how I feel about that now. There really shouldn't be that many people who would do that because, as Karen commented, their views are so different. So maybe McCain wanted to be seen as the progressive one? Or maybe he was making a last ditch effort because holy shit Obama can move people?

When it comes to the experience issue, I don't have a qualm with Obama or Palin. That sounds ludicrous, I know, but I have to wonder just how much policy is determined solely by the President or by all of the umpteen advisors that surround them?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Niki, in that Palin's education should be a detraction. Formal education is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but I do not gauge a person's intelligence or competency by the attainment or lack of a degree(s).

Am I the only one who is not offended by McCain choosing Palin because she's a woman? How many people were on board with Hillary because she was a woman (in addition to other reasons, to be sure)? Or Obama because he's black (in addition to other reasons, to be sure)?

No matter how you feel about Obama and McCain, this election is proving to be very interesting indeed. And if it gets people interested and talking, especially people who may not otherwise, then I count that a win, be it red or blue.

4 tips left at the bar:

Ruby said...

Sorry, y'all, I couldn't help myself! Being away from the bar for so long was killing me!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe you are the only one not insulted that McCain picked Palin because she's a woman :P

penelope said...

Well, I'm not insulted, either. I thought the decision was pretty crafty. As Megs originally pointed out, either way, this election will make history.

Great post. I kind of hate discussing politics (and religion), because people tend to get so damn affronted, but so long as the discussions remain intelligent and respectful, I'm interested and listening.

And she's not lying about Andi's black belt, either.

Lorrie Veasey said...

Great post and well said. Remind me to copy excerpts form it onto my hand in ball point pen so that i have some intelligent things to say at the next cocktail party I go to.