shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Monday, August 18, 2008

'Ugly Ducklings' Deserve Wide Grins Too

A small town mayor from Australia is in hot water because of comments he made about encouraging 'ugly duckling' women to move to his town. Apparently the town has way too many men (5 to 1!) and the mayor is encouraging the ugly girls to head on over since these boys are hard up! The ladies in the town are all whipped into a frenzy, accusing the mayor of calling them dogs. I, for one, think this is hilarious (probably because I'm not from there and all)!

Although, it's possible that the mayor may have taken the wrong angle on this situation... How about Heeeey Laaaadiiiies (a la Beastie Boys)! Come to our town and have your pick of the men and won't they be happy to see you and possibly buy you things to gain your attention! Now THAT'S a statement that would catch my eye.



Here's the whole story from MSNBC: Be sure to read the wide grin part

CANBERRA - A plea for lovelorn female "ugly ducklings" to move to a remote Australian mining town to reverse a shortage of eligible women has landed the local mayor in hot water.

Mount Isa Mayor John Molony was refusing to apologize on Monday for angering local women with a suggestion that "with five blokes to every girl, may I suggest that beauty-disadvantaged women should proceed to Mount Isa," in north-west Queensland state.

"Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face. Whether it is recollection of something previous or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness," Molony told the Townsville Bulletin newspaper last week.

"Some, in other places in Australia, need to proceed to Mount Isa, where happiness awaits. Really, beauty is only skin deep. Isn't there a fairy tale about an ugly duckling that evolves into a beautiful swan?" Molony said.

The mayor said he was "telling it like it is" in a testosterone-laden town more famous for cowboys and mining lead, silver, copper and zinc than for match-making, sitting atop one of the world's biggest underground mines.

"I'm a bloke who respects women. I believe we should look after women. I'm told men outnumber women here by five to one. If that's the case, then perhaps it's an opportunity for some lonely women," Molony said.

Fellow council members and the local chamber of commerce said they had been swamped with phone calls from both women and men complaining about the mayor's remarks.

"It paints the women here as second rate and suggests the men will settle for anything. I think it's quite disgusting," Mount Isa domestic violence worker Shirley Slann told the Courier Mail newspaper Monday.

4 tips left at the bar:

penelope said...

Crikey! What an idiot thing to say.

Kim said...

I don't know, during my ugly duckling phase I briefly considered a move to Alaska, as word on the street is that there's one woman for every 25 men, and, I don't know, I look good in sweaters. However, now that I have miraculously become hot, I have to say this IS a rather offensive story...

Anonymous said...

I'm packing my bags right now! 3 years is too long without a man so I am headed there to score me 5 of them!!

Ruby said...

You know, I've been afraid of this. But now I think it's proven that I think like a man because I don't see the offensive part of this, just the laughing at a goober part.

Damn drinking all that beer, making me dude-ish!