shot of sass, served on (n)ice

Friday, June 6, 2008

my superheroine: Tempus Freezit (with apologies to Ms. Bell, my high school Latin teacher)

In college, I knew this girl. Let's call her Annoying Girl, or AG for short. AG and I had a lot in common: we had the same major, we were both officers in our sorority, we were both involved in a few different leadership organizations.

This girl was annoying as dog poop. Why? Because we had almost identical busy calendars - exams, meetings, socials, etc - and somehow, someway, that little biotch managed not only to get everything done, but to do some charity work on the side AND always look good doing it.

I hated AG. A lot.

Mind you, I always crossed whatever literal or figurative "finish line" that was put out in front of me, but JUST BARELY. I was the sweaty, haggard, exhausted girl behind Miss AG, hair out of place, just in time to make the exam after cramming the last bits of Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan into my already packed brain. Meanwhile, AG would be at her desk already, kicked back with her stupid filofax, looking as if she had no cares in the world.

Which gets me to my point. I think.

Honest to God, if I could have any superpower in the world, it would be to stop time. I cannot tell you how many times I've said "there's not enough time in the day to do this." "This" being work, errands, cleaning, or just plain ol' hangin' out and watching reruns of the OC on Soap Network. Don't have enough time to get to work? Stop time and keep on drivin'. Running out of time at work before a deadline? Your boss will be non the wiser when you stop time to finish up that late proposal. Gas prices too high for you? Stop time right NOW and you won't pay more than 4 bucks a gallon. (I wish I had thought of this back in 1998, when the price was only $1.50.)

Sidebar: Now I get why I liked Hiro so much on the NBC show "Heroes." It wasn't because of his boyish chubby cheeks or poor mastery of the English language...it was the gift he had of freezing time. Much like I wish I could have done this week, so that my blog entry would have actually been on time, for once. :)
My model has no significance with regard to my actual super hero powers. I just like the idea of matching shoes, necklace, and tiara. And, I've always wanted my very own sword.

3 tips left at the bar:

Anonymous said...

I'd be afraid of stressing myself out even more, since I procrastinate as it is, I'm not sure I'd do myself a lot of good being able to lift any actual deadlines I might have that force me to get something done and move on!

Great outfit!

penelope said...

But would you use your super-power to defeat the arch-nemesis AG?

I agree, fab ensemble.

tempe & chris said...

Pen, I would use my powers for good, not evil.

Maybe.